The Creation of the West Country Breweries Ltd
WEST COUNTRY BREWERIES LTD The Brewery, 256 High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
J T Agg-Gardner founded the brewery in the High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in 1760. Cheltenham Original Brewery Co Ltd was registered in April 1888 as a limited liability company to acquire the business.
The company took over:
- Stibbs & Co, Albion Steam Brewery, Albion Street, Cheltenham in 1898.
- Nailsworth Brewery Co Ltd, Nailsworth Brewery, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire in 1908.
- A B Green, Stow Brewery, Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire in 1919.
- Lane Bros. & Bastow, Vine Brewery, New Street, Ledbury in 1919.
- Taylor & Co, Cotswold Brewery, Northleach, Gloucestershire in 1919.
- Arnold Perrett & Co Ltd, Wickwar Brewery, Wickwar, Gloucestershire in 1924.
- Sladden & Collier Ltd, The Brewery, Brick Kiln Street, Evesham, Worcestershire in 1927.
- Wintle's Brewery Ltd, Forest Steam Brewery, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire in 1930.
- Hereford & Tredegar Brewery Ltd, Imperial Brewery, Bewell Street, Hereford (closed 1963) in 1945.
Its name was changed to Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries Ltd in 1946. The company was acquired by Cheltenham Brewery Holdings Ltd in 1956 and changed its name to West Country Breweries Ltd in 1961.
WEST COUNTRY BREWERY HOLDINGS LTD The Brewery, High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Cheltenham Brewery Holdings Ltd was registered in February 1956 as a limited liability company and became a public company the following month.
The company acquired:
- Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries Ltd, The Brewery High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire in 1956.
- Spreckley Brothers Ltd, Worcester Brewery, Barbourne Brewery, Worcester and 67 tied houses in 1958
- Stroud Brewery Co Ltd, Stroud Brewery, Stroud, Gloucestershire, in 1958.
The company changed its name to West Country Brewery Holdings Ltd in 1959. It was acquired, along with 1,300 tied houses, by Whitbread & Co Ltd, London, in 1963 and went into liquidation in August 1964. The Stroud Brewery ceased brewing in 1969.