Difference between revisions of "The Creation of the West Country Breweries Ltd"
(Created page with "<big>'''WEST COUNTRY BREWERIES LTD The Brewery, 256 High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire</big>''' J T Agg-Gardner founded the brewery in the High Street, Cheltenham, Glo...")
Latest revision as of 22:25, 14 June 2019
WEST COUNTRY BREWERIES LTD The Brewery, 256 High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
J T Agg-Gardner founded the brewery in the High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in 1760. Cheltenham Original Brewery Co Ltd was registered in April 1888 as a limited liability company to acquire the business. The company took over Stibbs & Co, Albion Steam Brewery, Albion Street, Cheltenham, in 1898 - Nailsworth Brewery Co Ltd, Nailsworth Brewery, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, in 1908; A B Green, Stow Brewery, Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, Lane Bros. & Bastow, Vine Brewery, New Street, Ledbury, Hereford & Worcester, and Taylor & Co, Cotswold Brewery, Northleach, Gloucestershire, in 1919; Arnold Perrett & Co Ltd, Wickwar Brewery, Wickwar, Gloucestershire, in 1924; Sladden & Collier Ltd, The Brewery, Brick Kiln Street, Evesham, Hereford & Worcester, in 1927; Wintle's Brewery Ltd, Forest Steam Brewery, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, in 1930; and Hereford & Tredegar Brewery Ltd, Imperial Brewery, Bewell Street, Hereford, Hereford & Worcester (closed 1963), in 1945. Its name was changed to Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries Ltd in 1946. The company was acquired by Cheltenham Brewery Holdings Ltd in 1956 and changed its name to West Country Breweries Ltd in 1961.
WEST COUNTRY BREWERY HOLDINGS LTD The Brewery, High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Cheltenham Brewery Holdings Ltd was registered in February 1956 as a limited liability company and became a public company the following month. The company acquired Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries Ltd, The Brewery High Street, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in 1956; and Spreckley Brothers Ltd, Worcester Brewery, Barbourne Brewery, Worcester, Hereford & Worcester, and 67 tied houses and Stroud Brewery Co Ltd, Stroud Brewery, Stroud, Gloucestershire, in 1958. The company changed its name to West Country Brewery Holdings Ltd in 1959 It was acquired, along with 1,300 tied houses, by Whitbread & Co Ltd, London, in 1963 and went into liquidation in August 1964. The Stroud Brewery ceased brewing in 1969.