J & R Tennent Ltd, Wellpark Brewery, Duke Street, Glasgow
Founded c.1556. J & R Tennent succeeded their father at the Drygate Brewery, Drygate Bridge, on his death in 1776 but their name had been in use from at least 1769. Acquired the adjacent Wellpark Brewery in 1793.
Registered 1901 to acquire the estate of the late Hugh T Tennent who had been the sole member of the firm J & B Tennent.
Acquired by Charrington United Breweries Ltd. 1963 with 240 public houses.
Became part of Interbrew (A-B Inbev) in 2000.
At the end of August 2009, Cantrell & Cochrane (C&C), the Dublin based drinks group who own Magners cider, bought the Wellpark brewery in Glasgow and the Tennent’s brands from A-B Inbev.
Some images of the brewery
Brewery History Society visit, June 2014