Tennant Brothers Ltd
Tennant Brothers Ltd, Exchange Brewery, Bridge Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Founded 1820 and was acquired by Tennant Brothers 1840. Registered July 1882.
- In 1915, they acquired Smith & Co. (Sheffield) Ltd Don Brewery with about 108 houses and closed it by 1917.
- In March 1918. they acquired Strouts's Brewery Co. Ltd with 78 public houses.
- In 1923, they acquired Berry & Co. Ltd Moorhead Brewery, Sheffield with 78 houses and closed that brewery.
- In 1944, they acquired Nottingham Brewery Ltd with 167 houses and closed that brewery in 1952.
- In 1959, they acquired Clarkson's Old Brewery (Barnsley) Ltd with 61 houses in 1956 and closed the brewery that year.
- In 1959, they acquired Worksop & Retford Ltd with 192 public houses.
Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd in 1961 with 700 tied houses to become Whitbread East Pennines.
Whitbreads closed the brewery in 1993. Buildings remain, mostly converted to offices.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
Photos from Ian Peaty 1993:
Photos from Ian Peaty 1995:
An assortment of images of the brewery:
The brewery in 2017:
From an information board at the brewery: