Tamplin & Sons Ltd
Tamplin & Sons Brewery Brighton Ltd, Phoenix Brewery, Waterloo Street, Brighton, East Sussex.
Founded by Richard Tamplin in 1821. Succeeded by his son Henry Pagden Tamplin, then his grandson William Cloves Tamplin.
Registered May 1889. The Brighton brewery was rebuilt in 1921.
- The nearby M P Castle (Albion Brewery), Albion Street, was acquired with 35 houses in March 1892; brewing ceased here in 1894 and the premises were used as a store.
- The business of Bishop & Sons South Malling Brewery, Lewes was acquired in 1896.
- In 1899, some of the pub estate of West Street Brewery (Brighton) Ltd was purchased; Tamplins had already been supplying beer to some of these houses.
- In March 1900, they acquired R C Weekes, Brighton Brewery (Hove) with 12 tied houses and that brewery was demolished shortly after.
- They acquired Southdown & East Grinstead Breweries Ltd in 1924 with about 93 houses, and sold off the brewery premises.
- In 1926, they acquired the Brighton brewers Kidd & Hotblack Ltd with about 53 licensed houses.
- Two-thirds of the licensed houses of the Hove brewers E. Robins & Son Ltd were acquired in 1928.
- About 125 tied houses were purchased from the former Smithers & Sons Ltd Brighton brewery in 1929.
Tamplins were themselves taken over by Watney, Combe, Reid & Co. Ltd in 1953 with 400 public houses. Brewing ceased in October 1973, but the site continued as a depot until the end of the 1980s. In 1996, the site was cleared and houses were built on the site. Only the Old Counting House and the Brewer's House in Richmond Terrace remain.
Various images of the brewery
The brewery in 2007. Courtesy Steve Peck.
The brewery in 2010. Courtesy Stuart Walsh.
An assortment of other images
Some examples of their output.