Difference between revisions of "Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 7: Line 7:
 
<big>'''Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd''', ''Northgate Brewery, Bridgwater, Somerset.''</big>
 
<big>'''Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd''', ''Northgate Brewery, Bridgwater, Somerset.''</big>
  
Founded 1842 by George Knight.  
+
Founded 1842 by George Knight. Registered November 1887 as Starkey, Knight & Co., having merged with [[Thomas Starkey]], of North Petherton and Taunton.  
  
Registered November 1887 as Starkey, Knight & Co., having merged with [[Thomas Starkey]], of North Petherton and Taunton.
+
In 1889 a new tower brewery was constructed, their offices being at what had been the Heal & Cook site 54 High Street. In 1895 changed to '''Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd''' in 1895 when [[Thomas Ford & Son]] of Tiverton was acquired with 40 tied houses.  
 
+
In 1889 a new tower brewery was constructed, their offices being at what had been the Heal & Cook site 54 High Street.  
+
 
+
In 1895 changed as above 1895 when [[Thomas Ford & Son]] of Tiverton was acquired with 40 tied houses.  
+
  
 
North Petherton and Taunton closed 1906.  
 
North Petherton and Taunton closed 1906.  
  
Acquired by [[Whitbread & Co. Ltd]]. in 1962 with 400 tied houses.  
+
Acquired by [[Whitbread & Co. Ltd]]. in 1962 with 400 tied houses. The Bridgwater brewery was closed in the same year, and demolished 1967.  
 
+
The Bridgwater brewery was closed in the same year. and demolished 1967.  
+
  
  

Revision as of 11:43, 31 May 2020

An advert from 1900
Letterhead 1951
Tivvy Ales
In the Lethbridge Arms, Bishops Lydeard, 2009
In the Lethbridge Arms, Bishops Lydeard, 2009
In the Merchants Inn, Rugby

Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd, Northgate Brewery, Bridgwater, Somerset.

Founded 1842 by George Knight. Registered November 1887 as Starkey, Knight & Co., having merged with Thomas Starkey, of North Petherton and Taunton.

In 1889 a new tower brewery was constructed, their offices being at what had been the Heal & Cook site 54 High Street. In 1895 changed to Starkey, Knight & Ford Ltd in 1895 when Thomas Ford & Son of Tiverton was acquired with 40 tied houses.

North Petherton and Taunton closed 1906.

Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd. in 1962 with 400 tied houses. The Bridgwater brewery was closed in the same year, and demolished 1967.



An assortment of views of the brewery.