Shrewsbury & Wem Brewery Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Circus Brewery
The Circus Brewery: Ordnance Survey extract from 1879. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (
Wem Sumner.jpg
The Shrewsbury brewery in 1807
An advert from 1886
Wem closure.jpg
The Wem Brewery. Photo: Courtesy David Cox
Wem labels.jpg

Shrewsbury & Wem Brewery Co. Ltd, Talbot Brewery, High Street; and Noble Street, Wem, Shropshire.

In 1895 William Hall & Co. Name changed as above in 1898 when the Noble Street brewery of Charles Kynaston was acquired. The Talbot Brewery was then closed in 1900 and Noble Street extended.

Acquired by Greenall Whitley & Co. Ltd in 1951 with 94 public houses; but the company operated relatively independently for many years. The tied estate grew to about 225 pubs. Brewing ceased February 1988.

Shrewsbury & Wem Brewery Co. Ltd, Circus Brewery, Bridge Street, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

Founded 1860 as Richards Brothers. Registered 1898 as Shropshire Brewery Co, from Richards & Hearn, although trading as William Hall & Co. Same year merged with Kynaston of Wem and name changed to above. Circus Brewery closed 1912.

The Shrewsbury brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.

Wem Brewery in 1987:

An assortment of images of the Brewery at Wem

Labels etc

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 194,391
Description  : Bare-back rider
Date of Application  : 08/04/1896
Used Prior to 1875?  : NO

Registration No  : 494,342
Description  : Words "STRATHTAVY"
Date of Application  : 22/08/1928
Used Prior to 1875?  : NO