Shepherd Neame Ltd
Shepherd Neame Ltd, 17 Court Street, Faversham, Kent ME13 7AX
Brewing on the site can be traced back to the 16th century. John Castlock was brewing here in 1570, and in 1653 the brewery passed to Thomas Hilton. Richard Marsh leased it from Hilton's executors in 1878; and in 1698, Marsh bought the brewery, thereby signalling the official start of the brewery's history.
The concern was acquired by Samuel Shepherd in 1732 when he married Marsh's daughter-in-law Mary; in about 1848, John Henry Mares became a partner; and in October 1864, the first Neame, Percy Beale became a partner; and the company became Shepherd Neame & Co.
Registered as Shepherd, Neame & Co. Ltd. November 1914 and name changed as above 1919.
They acquired Mason & Co of Maidstone in 1956 with about 80 tied houses and closed that brewery.
Still brewing independently.
- The brewery's web site includes a comprehensive history of the brewery: []
Various images of the brewery:
The brewery in 1993:
From the collection of Roy Denison
BHS AGM and visit, April 2007:
- More pictures of the 2007 AGM: []
Some images from the BHS AGM and visit in 2019:
Courtesy Jeff Sechiari - 2019
Sheps' ale stores at Sheerness: