Difference between revisions of "Shepherd Neame Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
Line 47: Line 47:
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
 
Sheps 1993 (1).jpg  
 
Sheps 1993 (1).jpg  
Sheps 1993 (2.jpg  
+
Sheps 1993 (2).jpg  
 
Sheps 1993 (4).jpg  
 
Sheps 1993 (4).jpg  
 
Sheps 1993 (6).jpg  
 
Sheps 1993 (6).jpg  

Latest revision as of 10:38, 5 September 2020

1951
1980
Courtesy Roy Denison
The Sheps pub in Smithfield, London
Shepherd Neame LDA.jpg
Shepherd Neame Stong Ale.jpg
Shepherd Neame Stout sq.jpg

Shepherd Neame Ltd, 17 Court Street, Faversham, Kent ME13 7AX

Brewing on the site can be traced back to the 16th century. John Castlock was brewing here in 1570, and in 1653 the brewery passed to Thomas Hilton. Richard Marsh leased it from Hilton's executors in 1878; and in 1698, Marsh bought the brewery, thereby signalling the official start of the brewery's history.

The concern was acquired by Samuel Shepherd in 1732 when he married Marsh's daughter-in-law Mary; in about 1848, John Henry Mares became a partner; and in October 1864, the first Neame, Percy Beale became a partner; and the company became Shepherd Neame & Co.

Registered as Shepherd, Neame & Co. Ltd. November 1914 and name changed as above 1919. They acquired Mason & Co of Maidstone in 1956 with about 80 tied houses and closed that brewery.

Still brewing independently.

  • The brewery's web site includes a comprehensive history of the brewery: [[1]]


Various images of the brewery:


The brewery in 1993:


The brewery in 1999:


From the collection of Roy Denison


Sheps' ale stores at Sheerness:

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 37,071
Description : Label design
Date of Application : 24/4/1884
Used Prior to 1870? : NO