Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd
Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd, 131 Millgate, Selby, North Yorkshire.
Founded c.1870 as maltsters. Registered September 1945 to acquire the business of Joseph L Skyes who trade as J N & G Middlebrough.
Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd. The public houses were sold to Duttons in 1964 and the business was continued as beer bottlers and retailers.
Brewing recommenced by Martin Sykes in December 1972 but they only brewed sporadically.
From the Brewery History Society Newsletter Number 41
John Middlebrough listed on Millgate 1880. Originally maltsters, but brewing by 1917.
Registered 1945 to acquire the business of Joseph L Sykes trading as JN & G Middlesborough. The public houses were sold in 1964, but they continued as bottlers. In December 1972 Martyn Sykes recommenced brewing, albeit intermittently.
An assortment of images of the brewery