Difference between revisions of "Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[image:SELBY BR.jpg|thumb]]
 
[[image:SELBY BR.jpg|thumb]]
 
+
[[File:Selby Middles label xx.jpg|thumb]]
 
<big>'''Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd''', ''131 Millgate, Selby, North Yorkshire.''</big>
 
<big>'''Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd''', ''131 Millgate, Selby, North Yorkshire.''</big>
  
Line 7: Line 7:
 
Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with [[Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd]]. The public houses were sold to Duttons in 1964 and the business was continued as beer bottlers and retailers.  
 
Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with [[Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd]]. The public houses were sold to Duttons in 1964 and the business was continued as beer bottlers and retailers.  
  
Brewing recommenced by Martin Sykes 1972 but only brewed sporadically.
+
Brewing recommenced by Martin Sykes in December 1972 but they only brewed sporadically.
 +
 
  
 
* '''[[List of Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd. pubs]]'''
 
* '''[[List of Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd. pubs]]'''
  
 +
 +
'''From the Brewery History Society Newsletter Number 41'''
 +
 +
John Middlebrough listed on Millgate 1880. Originally maltsters, but brewing by 1917.
 +
 +
Registered 1945 to acquire the business of Joseph L Sykes trading as JN & G Middlesborough. The public houses were sold in 1964, but they continued as bottlers. In December 1972 Martyn Sykes recommenced brewing, albeit intermittently.
 +
 +
'''From the Brewery History Society Journal Number 104 by Pat Aldabella and Robert Barnard, with additional information from David L Parry'''
 +
 +
Jarvis Latham is listed as a brewer in Millgate in 1861.
 +
 +
The current firm of Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd. operates from Millgate. The firm was founded in the 1870s as maltsters when the Middlebrough family moved from South Milford to Selby; by 1900 they were also brewers. A Private Company was registered in September 1945 to take over the business previously carried on in partnership by J. N and G. Middlebrough Ltd. The firm never had more than two or three tied houses and the bulk of the trade was with working men’s clubs around Doncaster and Wakefield. Production did not exceed fifty barrels a week. The grandfather of the present owner, Martin Sykes, bought the business from J. N. Middlebrough in 1945. Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with [[Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd]]. The public houses were sold to Dutton’s in 1964 and the business carried on as beer bottlers and retailers.
 +
 +
Brewing was revived again by Martin Sykes in December 1972 and the old brewing equipment was replaced by modern plant in 1980. The brewery served as a catalyst in the new small brewery revolution. There was one tied house, the Board, in Howden.
  
 
'''An assortment of images of the brewery'''
 
'''An assortment of images of the brewery'''
Line 19: Line 34:
 
Selby FVs.jpg   
 
Selby FVs.jpg   
 
Selby.jpg   
 
Selby.jpg   
 +
Selby Brewery label zn.jpg
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
  
  
 
[[category:North Yorkshire]]
 
[[category:North Yorkshire]]

Latest revision as of 16:37, 21 October 2019

SELBY BR.jpg
Selby Middles label xx.jpg

Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd, 131 Millgate, Selby, North Yorkshire.

Founded c.1870 as maltsters. Registered September 1945 to acquire the business of Joseph L Skyes who trade as J N & G Middlebrough.

Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd. The public houses were sold to Duttons in 1964 and the business was continued as beer bottlers and retailers.

Brewing recommenced by Martin Sykes in December 1972 but they only brewed sporadically.



From the Brewery History Society Newsletter Number 41

John Middlebrough listed on Millgate 1880. Originally maltsters, but brewing by 1917.

Registered 1945 to acquire the business of Joseph L Sykes trading as JN & G Middlesborough. The public houses were sold in 1964, but they continued as bottlers. In December 1972 Martyn Sykes recommenced brewing, albeit intermittently.

From the Brewery History Society Journal Number 104 by Pat Aldabella and Robert Barnard, with additional information from David L Parry

Jarvis Latham is listed as a brewer in Millgate in 1861.

The current firm of Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd. operates from Millgate. The firm was founded in the 1870s as maltsters when the Middlebrough family moved from South Milford to Selby; by 1900 they were also brewers. A Private Company was registered in September 1945 to take over the business previously carried on in partnership by J. N and G. Middlebrough Ltd. The firm never had more than two or three tied houses and the bulk of the trade was with working men’s clubs around Doncaster and Wakefield. Production did not exceed fifty barrels a week. The grandfather of the present owner, Martin Sykes, bought the business from J. N. Middlebrough in 1945. Brewing ceased in 1954 for economic reasons and a trading agreement was made with Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd. The public houses were sold to Dutton’s in 1964 and the business carried on as beer bottlers and retailers.

Brewing was revived again by Martin Sykes in December 1972 and the old brewing equipment was replaced by modern plant in 1980. The brewery served as a catalyst in the new small brewery revolution. There was one tied house, the Board, in Howden.

An assortment of images of the brewery