Samuel Smith (Loughborough)

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Samuel Smith, Three Crowns, 16 Nottingham Road Loughborough, Leicestershire.

In 1870 Samuel was at the pub, where he was shown as brewing in 1877. This may have been linked with Smith, John & Son, maltsters in Derby Road, where John Smith had been malting from at least 1835.

By 1884 William Perkins was at the pub, located at No 16, and was shown as the brewer in 1887. However, in 1888 William Derry Perkins, a victualler bankrupt at the Three Crowns, moved to Nottingham.

Arthur Dunkley was listed as the brewer for the period 1892-95, but the address was shown as No 36. Israel Smith was then brewing 1898 to 1902, when the address had changed again to No 56. Edward Arthur Hitherley was the next brewer for 1904-1921 (F3100).

In 1922, Miss A Brooks was listed as brewing, this time at No 36 and in 1925 Redfern W Hart was identified as the brewer of beer retailed, still for once at No 36. However, this seems to have been the end of brewing at the pub.

The pub is now a freehouse called the Tap & Mallet, although it has been rebuilt at some time.