Roberts & Wilson Ltd
Roberts & Wilson Ltd, Ivinghoe Brewery, Ivinghoe, Buckinghamshire.
Thomas Meacher acquired the brewery from John Emerton in about 1766. Registered in 1914.
Acquired by Benskins Ltd in 1927 with 56 houses and brewing ceased. The brewer’s house survives.
George Crutcher supplied the following notes:
Roberts and Wilson's publicity stated that the business was established in 1720. By the 1770s it appears to have been operated by John Emmerton and A Brewers Compendium – A Directory Of Buckinghamshire Brewers (ABC) by Mike Brown says that it then came under the control of the Meacher family who also had brewing and malting interests in Newport Pagnell.
By the end of the century, George Meacher was running the business and in early directories the business is described as George Meacher and Co. Subsequently it became Meacher and Rackstrowe, the Meacher in question being George's son Charles Meacher. He died in 1871 and the business was subsequently (1872-1873) sold to William Wilson (see also Dagnall) and Henry Roberts. At this time it included 30 pubs and beerhouses, many of which were in Bedfordshire and north west Herts.
The business expanded, more licensed premises were acquired and improvements made to the Brewhouse. Malting capacity on site was limited and leases were taken out on Maltings at Tring and Dagnall. The Malthouse at New Mill was taken over from Locke & Smith Ltd of Berkhamsted in about 1912.
In 1927 the business was taken over by Benskins Ltd of Watford, with 56 licensed premises, and brewing ceased in October of that year. The brewery was subsequently demolished (circa 1930) but the adjacent Brewery House survives, having been a youth hostel until 2006.
The brewer's house: