Rigden & Co Ltd
W E & J Rigden Ltd, Court Street, Faversham, Kent
Founded in the early 1700s by Edward Rigden. Registered in 1902 as Rigden & Co. In 1922, they merged with George Beer & Co. Ltd of Canterbury to form George Beer & Rigden, not being limited until 1927. Production was switched to Faversham.
Was acquired by Fremlins Ltd of Maidstone in 1948 and brewing ceased at Faversham in 1954. Production recommenced in 1961, coming under the control of Whitbread after Fremlins were acquired in 1968. It became Fremlins' brewery when the Maidstone plant was closed by Whitbread in 1972.
Brewery closed 1990 but the buildings remain intact, some converted to a supermarket.
An assortment of images of the brewery
The brewery in 2007:
The brewery in 2019:
From the collection of Roy Denison