Difference between revisions of "Rigden & Co Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
Line 57: Line 57:
 
Faversham fremlins 2004 2.jpg|The Maltings
 
Faversham fremlins 2004 2.jpg|The Maltings
 
File:Crown Cap Rigdens.JPG|Crown Cap Opener Number 702661 (registered 1924) Courtesy Rodney Jones
 
File:Crown Cap Rigdens.JPG|Crown Cap Opener Number 702661 (registered 1924) Courtesy Rodney Jones
File:FavershamRigdensFloat1908a.jpg|Rigden's Float, 1908. Courtesy Howard Webb Collection]]
+
File:FavershamRigdensFloat1908a.jpg|Rigden's Float, 1908. Courtesy Howard Webb Collection
File:FavershamRigdensFloat1908b.jpg|Rigden's Float, 1908. "Better than Neame's"! Courtesy Howard Webb Collection.]]
+
File:FavershamRigdensFloat1908b.jpg|Rigden's Float, 1908. "Better than Neame's"! Courtesy Howard Webb Collection.
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
  

Latest revision as of 11:07, 21 April 2021

An advert from 1858
Beer & Rigden Faversham 1948.jpg
Courtesy Roy Denison
Rigdens-Advert-1936.jpg
Courtesy Roy Denison
Rigden Int.jpg
Rigden Ext.jpg
GeorgeBeer&Rigdenpub.jpg

W E & J Rigden Ltd, Court Street, Faversham, Kent

Founded in the early 1700s by Edward Rigden. Registered in 1902 as Rigden & Co. In 1922, they merged with George Beer & Co. Ltd of Canterbury to form George Beer & Rigden, not being limited until 1927. Production was switched to Faversham.

Was acquired by Fremlins Ltd of Maidstone in 1948 and brewing ceased at Faversham in 1954. Production recommenced in 1961, coming under the control of Whitbread after Fremlins were acquired in 1968. It became Fremlins' brewery when the Maidstone plant was closed by Whitbread in 1972.

Brewery closed 1990 but the buildings remain intact, some converted to a supermarket.


An assortment of images of the brewery


The brewery in 2007:


The brewery in 2019:


From the collection of Roy Denison