Ogden & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 11:16, 1 April 2020 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ogden Label.jpg

Ogden & Co. Ltd, Fallwood Brewery, Oak Street, Haworth, West Yorkshire.

Founded by 1870. Moved from the Belle Isle Brewery c.1877.

Samuel Ogden and John Parker were in partnership at the Fallwood Brewery from 1881, their wives were cousins. Business of Ogden & Parker declared bankrupt in 1883. John Parker remained at the Fallwood Brewery until his death in 1885 then his wife Elizabeth took over. She stayed until c.1889. Samuel Ogden moved to Thornton, Bradford (listed there 1887 to 1889).

In 1893 brewing took place at both Fallwood Brewery and Thornton Brewery.

Solely at Haworth by 1901. Registered 1911. In September 1932 the company informed their tenants that they were ceasing brewing operations and handing over control of the business to Hey & Co. Ltd, Bradford.

Hammond's Bradford Brewery Co. Ltd. acquired the company's 8 tied houses the following year.

In 1981, the Fallwood premises were a cycling club.

From Brewery History Society Newsletter Number 48. Malcolm Toft writes:-

John Parker had been in partnership with Samuel Ogden at the Fallwood Brewery, Oak Street, Haworth, from 1881. Their wives were cousins. In 1883 bankruptcy struck and the pair ceased their business co-operation. John Parker died two years later at the early age of 34. Elizabeth Parker began brewing c1887 at the Clarendon Brewery, which had been built by William Brown, wine and spirit merchant of the township.

Parker’s brewery had a two-quarter brewing plant in 1919, about the size a home brew pub of the time. The premises had no electricity supply, only gas. A steam-boiler and gas-engine was powered operations. Water for brewing was collected from Brow Moor in tanks situated at the top side of Victoria Road. In 1947 the business was formed into a private limited company. The brewery produced around four regular draught beers and a seasonal haymaking brew. Parker’s bottled brews, all filled by hand, included Light Bitter Ale XXX, and Golden Ale. Bass and Guniness were also bottled. No more than ten people were employed by Parker’s at any one time. The firm was said to have had an extensive club trade in the Nelson, Colne and Burnley districts of Lancashire.

Herbert JW Parker Managing Director was the eldest and last surviving son of the founders John and Elizabeth Parker, died in 1953. Mr Ganis was the brewer for the firm at that time. It is said that there was an understanding that if Mrs Parker decided to sell the business Taylor’s would be first in line to acquire the Haworth brewery’s pubs. So in 1956 when news came to John Taylor that Mrs. Parker was in talks with Bradford brewer J. Hey & Co. Ltd., he was surprised to say the least! A ‘mad dash’ to the Brontë village saved the day.

An assortment of images of the brewery.