Oak Brewery Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 15:13, 18 December 2015 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Oak Brewery Ltd, Leverington Road, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

John Gapp is shown as brewing at the Oak Brewery in 1847.

James Yates took over in 1858 and was succeeded by J & H Yates.

Premises extended in 1899.

Lord Hesketh purchased the Oak Brewery in January 1946, he had previously purchased the Abington Brewery Co. Ltd. in 1942. The two breweries were run independently.

Brewing had ceased before Lord Hesketh’s executors sold the premises in 1964 to a Mr Guthrie. He sold it on in 1965 to Mr H Kitchen who developed the site into the Oak Wine &S pirit Merchants.

23 public houses were sold to Lacon & Co. Ltd. in 1964.

Some of the brewery buildings remain.


An assortment of images of the brewery