Difference between revisions of "Oak Brewery Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 24: Line 24:
Wisbech oak bry 1995 Sechiari (3).jpg|Courtesy Jeff Sechiari  
Wisbech oak bry 1995 Sechiari (3).jpg|Courtesy Jeff Sechiari  

Revision as of 15:09, 10 August 2018

Oak Brewery Ltd, Leverington Road, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

John Gapp is shown as brewing at the Oak Brewery in 1847.

James Yates took over in 1858 and was succeeded by J & H Yates.

Premises extended in 1899.

Lord Hesketh purchased the Oak Brewery in January 1946, he had previously purchased the Abington Brewery Co. Ltd. in 1942. The two breweries were run independently.

Brewing had ceased before Lord Hesketh’s executors sold the premises in 1964 to a Mr Guthrie. He sold it on in 1965 to Mr H Kitchen who developed the site into the Oak Wine &S pirit Merchants.

23 public houses were sold to Lacon & Co. Ltd. in 1964.

Some of the brewery buildings remain.

An assortment of images of the brewery