Morgan & Bladworth
Morgan & Bladworth, 18 Silver Street, Warminster, Wiltshire.
Acquired by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery Co. Ltd. 1898.
The Warminster Brewery was located behind the Ship and Punchbowl Public House at number 18 Silver Street.
The brewery developed from a malting concern, and belonged to the Morgan family: begun in about 1830, by the 1890s it was known as Morgan & Bladworth's Warminster Brewery.
Number 22 Silver Street has long since been renumbered No. 34. The property is known for its one-time association with The Warminster Brewery (acquired by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery Co. Ltd) which stood behind it. It is generally believed that the brewery owned the house as a residence for its head brewer.
The Warminster Brewery was demolished in the early 1900s and a row of cottages built on the site. Plans were submitted in 1903 for "Twelve cottages, Old Brewery Road, Warminster". [Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office, G16/760/203]. Built as 1 to 12 Obelisk Terrace, they survive as 19 to 30 Silver Street.
By that time the Warminster Brewery at Silver Street had undergone various changes of owners and amalgamations, including Morgan & Bladworth of Warminster, eventually merging with Bartlett & Co. Ltd's Brewery which was at High Street, Warminster (a property built in 1885).
An Ordnance Survey 1886 extract of the brewery. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland http://maps.nls.uk/index.html
An extract from the Warminster Local Board's Surveyor's Map showing the location of 22 Silver Street and the proximity of the Warminster Brewery. Courtesy http://www.dannyhowell.net.