Difference between revisions of "Mary Tomlin (Nottingham)"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 10: Line 10:
  
 
When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to [[Shipstone & Sons Ltd]], who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.
 
When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to [[Shipstone & Sons Ltd]], who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.
 +
 +
The White Horse featured in the 1960 film 'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning'.
  
 
The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.
 
The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.

Revision as of 14:47, 22 December 2018

The brewhouse. Photo: George Crutcher

William T Tomlin and Mary Edith Tomlin, White Horse, 313 Ilkeston Road, Nottingham

Ray Farleigh writes:

Kelly's Brewers & Maltsters Directory of 1877 lists Thomas Vickers, Ilkeston Road as a small brewer. The Brewers Journal July 1887 had a gazette notice of a first and final dividend of 6s 4½d in the bankruptcy of Sarah Vickers, widow, licensed victualler and wine & spirit merchant of the White Horse Hotel, 313 Ilkeston Road. Then in the Country Brewers Gazette, 27 May 1897, the White Horse "home-brewed public house" for sale by auction on 16 June, for many years in the occupation of Samuel Malbon Hopkin deceased and now of his executors. H Edward Hopkin(s) in 1898; Mrs Mary Elizabeth Tomlin in Kelly's in 1923.

William T Tomlin brewing from 1898 to 1914, followed by Mary until 1926, almost certainly his widow.

When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to Shipstone & Sons Ltd, who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.

The White Horse featured in the 1960 film 'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning'.

The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.