Difference between revisions of "Mary Tomlin (Nottingham)"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 9: Line 9:
 
William T Tomlin brewing from 1898 to 1914, followed by Mary until 1926, almost certainly his widow.
 
William T Tomlin brewing from 1898 to 1914, followed by Mary until 1926, almost certainly his widow.
  
When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to Shipstones, who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.
+
When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to [[Shipstone & Sons Ltd]], who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.
  
 
The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.
 
The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.
Line 19: Line 19:
 
NottsNottinghamWhiteHorse1_SP_Dec05.jpg|WT 1912 plaque
 
NottsNottinghamWhiteHorse1_SP_Dec05.jpg|WT 1912 plaque
 
NottsNottinghamWhiteHorse2_SP_Feb06.jpg|Shipsones in lobby
 
NottsNottinghamWhiteHorse2_SP_Feb06.jpg|Shipsones in lobby
 
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>

Revision as of 08:41, 7 June 2017

The brewhouse. Photo: George Crutcher

William T Tomlin and Mary Edith Tomlin, White Horse, 313 Ilkeston Road, Nottingham

Ray Farleigh writes:

Kelly's Brewers & Maltsters Directory of 1877 lists Thomas Vickers, Ilkeston Road as a small brewer. The Brewers Journal July 1887 had a gazette notice of a first and final dividend of 6s 4½d in the bankruptcy of Sarah Vickers, widow, licensed victualler and wine & spirit merchant of the White Horse Hotel, 313 Ilkeston Road. Then in the Country Brewers Gazette, 27 May 1897, the White Horse "home-brewed public house" for sale by auction on 16 June, for many years in the occupation of Samuel Malbon Hopkin deceased and now of his executors. H Edward Hopkin(s) in 1898; Mrs Mary Elizabeth Tomlin in Kelly's in 1923.

William T Tomlin brewing from 1898 to 1914, followed by Mary until 1926, almost certainly his widow.

When William Tomlin rebuilt the pub in 1912, he incorporated a plaque in the gable 'WT 1912'. Mary Tomlin sold the pub to Shipstone & Sons Ltd, who applied their name in mosaic lettering in the front lobby.

The pub is now in use as a cafe. The former brewhouse still stands at the back.