Mann, Crossman & Paulin (Burton)
Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd, Albion Brewery, Shobnall Road, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire
The Burton brewery was built 1873-1875 by Mile End brewers Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd and used by them until 1896. Designed by W & S T Martin of Nottingham, and included a cooperage, stores, stables, wells and twelve cottages for brewery workers. Brewing commenced in April 1875, but Manns decided to cease brewing in 1895.
On 28 March 1896, the Albion Brewery (Burton-on-Trent) Ltd was registered March 1896 to acquire the Manns business, the Burton & Lincoln Breweries Ltd and the Gresley Brewery Ltd initially with 8 tied houses, then a further 127. In 1897, all the public houses were leased to Thomas Salt & Co. Ltd and in 1898, 55 houses were acquired which were later leased to Ind Coope Ltd. and others.
The Burton brewery was leased to Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd in 1898 and sold to them in 1902.
Voluntary liquidation 2nd March 1903.
The Burton brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.