Langton & Sons
Langton & Sons, Thorpe End Brewery, Thorpe Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
George Adcock may have gone into business on his own, but he seems to have died shortly afterwards, since in 1865 it was being run by his executors. However, in 1867 George Adcock was listed as a gentleman in Burton End, whilst Mrs Adcock was shown as a brewer in Sherrard Street.
In 1870 Adcock junior (Exec of):- mild, pale and strong ale and porter brewer. John Mowbray was the manager for the executors of the late George Adcock junior. In 1871, the Thorpe brewery was being run by JG Adcock.
The son George was shown as running the business in 1875, but this was probably a directory error, since in 1876 it was described as George junior (trustees) Thorpe Brewery and Sherrard Street. Similarly in 1877, the Thorpe End Brewery, was under the control of the trustees of Adcock junior, Sherrard Street, when George Henry Ellingworth was shown as the agent.
Around 1884, it was trading as Adcock, George junior & Company, Thorpe End Brewery and offices at 1 Nottingham Street. However, by 1887, John Shaw Lord was at the Thorpe End Brewery and Nottingham Street. He was advertising mild, strong and pale ale as well as national stouts. An indenture of 29th October then mentions both Lord and also George Langton. The following year the business was trading as Langton & Sons, brewery and maltings. However, one directory still listed JS Lord as brewer at the Thorpe End Brewery, as well as running the Eight Bells and the Half Moon, both of which were on Nottingham Street.
In 1890, Langton & Sons were shown at Thorpe End and 36 Nottingham Street, with their “Celebrated AK Ale”. From 1892 to 1910, the central office was 36 Nottingham Street. In 1890, the Brewers’ Journal reported that Harry Langton of the Thorpe End Brewery had “invented an improved form of tap, in which a covering device in the form of a tongue extends to its aperture, opening and closing with the turning of the tap itself. The object of this simple contrivance is to prevent the accumulation of flies or other insects, dust, or mould in the aperture of the tap when turned off and not in use.” (Brewers’ Journal p111).
In 1891, they were negotiating with LB&M to supply the Princess Charlotte at Leicester with their beer, as long as they took 300 quarters of malt in return. The contract eventually was signed at 250 quarters, but apparently did not last for very long. The background to the Langtons involvement in brewing seems to start in 1866 with Langton & Sons at the Union Brewery in Wandsworth, SW London. In 1876 this was trading as Joseph Langton & Sons. One of these sons may have been George Langton, since in 1878 one of George’s sons, also called Joseph, was running the Dolphin Brewery at Cuckfield.
In 1894 George Langton was living in Dalby Road. Henry Langton, the brewery manager, was living at Claremont, also in Dalby Road. In 1896, George Langton retired from Messrs Langton & Sons and the partnership was dissolved. However, in 1900, it was still trading as Langton & Sons, still advertising their celebrated golden AK Ale, a light dinner ale, at one shilling per gallon. They were also bottling Bass, Guinness and Youngers. On 3rd March 1901 the business was offered for sale at auction. However, interest must have been minimal, since it was for sale again on 23rd October 1906. It was also offered to Phipps of Northampton, where James Langton was a director. Presumably, this was another of George’s sons and the same James Langton involved with various other breweries and a trustee of Blencowes of Brackley.
In 1906, the business was shown as being run by George and Harry Langton when they applied for a licence to sell wines and spirits from the brewery premises. In 1910 Langton & Sons (F3360) was sold with 14 pubs - of which 13 have been identified. This was the same year that Joseph Langton sold the Cuckfield brewery. The tower brewery, with adjoining malthouse and kiln is still standing (SK758192).
An Ordnance Survey extract from 1884. "Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland" http://maps.nls.uk/index.html:
Images of the brewery: