John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd
John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd, High Street, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.
Acquired by John Smith 1847. Present brewery built 1884. Registered August 1892.
- Robert Budd & Co, Strong Arm Brewery, Sheffield was acquired in October 1893 with 14 tied houses.
- H W Robinson & Co, Scotland Street Brewery, Sheffield, was wound up in 1895 and the brewery and 14 houses were sold to John Smith's and the brewery closed.
- Quintin Rhodes of Thirsk was acquired with 11 houses in 1897.
- Thomas Holtby of Great Driffield was acquired with 6 houses in 1897.
- They acquired Simpson & Co of Market Weighton in 1899 with 51 public houses. Maltings used until 1935. Brewery demolished 1989.
- J L Cockayne & Son's Owlerton Brewery, Sheffield was acquired with 27 houses in May 1913, and the brewery was dismantled.
- Fernandes & Co (Wakefield). Brewery and 42 public houses were acquired 1st October 1919.
- They acquired Warwick & Co, Anchor Brewery, Boroughbridge in April 1925 with 42 public houses.
- Bentley's Milnshaw Brewery Co. Ltd of Accrington were acquired in 1926 with 12 houses.
- On 23rd December 1929, W H Thackwray & Co, March's Brewery, York was acquired with 3 tied houses. Brewing ceased there in 1940.
- They acquired Haughton Road Brewery Co of Darlington in June 1934 with 41 public houses.
- Henry Shaw of Dukinfield was acquired in 1939.
- They acquired Whitworth, Son & Nephew Ltd of Wath-on-Dearne in 1958 with 165 tied houses and brewing ceased there.
- In 1961, they acquired Yates Castle Brewery Ltd of Manchester and that brewery was closed.
- The Barnsley Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in 1961 with 250 public houses. Following John Smith's takeover by Courage, and the latter's takeover by Imperial Tobacco in 1972, Barnsley Brewery was closed on 27th March 1976.
- Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd of Newark were acquired in 1962 and brewing ceased there in 1966.
John Smith's Brewery was acquired by Courage, Barclay & Simonds Ltd in 1970 with c.1800 houses.
Brewery still in operation as part of Heineken UK.
Various images of the brewery
The brewery in 1990
The brewery in 1992
Views of the brewery taken in 2002. Courtesy Jeff Sechiari
The brewery in June 2008