John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Letterhead 1951
John Smith, New Brewery, Tadcaster. Brewers' Journal 15th February 1883
John Smith, Esq., Brewery, Offices & Stores, Tadcaster. Brewers’ Journal 15th May 1885
John Smiths.jpg
Malin Bridge Inn, Sheffield, 2006
Their entry in the Trade Mark Registry

John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd, High Street, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.

Acquired by John Smith 1847. Present brewery built 1884. Registered August 1892.

Takeover trail:

  • Robert Budd & Co, Strong Arm Brewery, Sheffield was acquired in October 1893 with 14 tied houses.
  • H W Robinson & Co, Scotland Street Brewery, Sheffield, was wound up in 1895 and the brewery and 14 houses were sold to John Smith's and the brewery closed.
  • Thomas Holtby of Great Driffield was acquired with 6 houses in 1897.
  • They acquired Simpson & Co of Market Weighton in 1899 with 51 public houses. Maltings used until 1935. Brewery demolished 1989.
  • J L Cockayne & Son's Owlerton Brewery, Sheffield was acquired with 27 houses in May 1913, and the brewery was dismantled.
  • Fernandes & Co (Wakefield). Brewery and 42 public houses were acquired 1st October 1919.
  • They acquired Warwick & Co, Anchor Brewery, Boroughbridge in April 1925 with 42 public houses.
  • On 23rd December 1929, W H Thackwray & Co, March's Brewery, York was acquired with 3 tied houses. Brewing ceased there in 1940.
  • The Barnsley Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in 1961 with 250 public houses. Following John Smith's takeover by Courage, and the latter's takeover by Imperial Tobacco in 1972, Barnsley Brewery was closed on 27th March 1976.

John Smith's Brewery was acquired by Courage, Barclay & Simonds Ltd in 1970 with c.1800 houses.

Brewery still in operation as part of Heineken UK.

Various images of the brewery

The brewery in 1990

The brewery in 1992

Views of the brewery taken in 2002. Courtesy Jeff Sechiari

The brewery in June 2008

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 27,959

Description  : Facsimile signature "Est 1758
Date of Application  : 9/6/1882
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 164,353
Description  : Words "Maho
Date of Application  : 23/4/1892
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 285,888
Description  : Magnet
Date of Application  : 04/09/1906

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO