John Richardson Ltd
John Richardson Ltd, Ousegate, Selby, North Yorkshire.
Acquired by Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries Ltd. with 5 of their 6 houses in 1897.
From the Brewery History Society Journal Number 104 by Pat Aldabella and Robert Barnard, with additional information from David L Parry
Thomas Shepley was a brewer c.1798 to 1807 when he went bankrupt. In 1792 Shepley and Makeins rented land in the Crescent. The ‘newly built’ brewery with messuage, maltkiln and granaries in Ousegate was to be sold by auction at Thomas Hawdon’s, the George, in January 1807.
John Coulman was a brewer c.1798 - 1810 listed at Church Hill although this is probably a residential address. The Ousegate brewery was for sale in 1810 along with three dwelling houses fronting the street and another dwelling house in the yard, all lately erected; John Coulman owned the brewery. Mrs Coulman owned John Bradley’s brewery in Ousegate in 1823. The brewery is shown on the 1792 plan when John Coulman probably occupied it. Shepley could have been Coulman’s undertenant, as there appears to have only been one brewery in Ousegate.
John Bradley took over c.1821 - 1838 at the Ousegate brewery. John died in 1838 aged 75; his wife, Mary, died in 1842 aged 82. Thomas Bradley, presumably John’s son, ran the brewery c.1846 - 1857. Thomas was born in 1803, his wife, Ann, was born in 1806 in Selby; their children included Thomas b. 1834, who was a brewer’s clerk in 1851, and John b. 1844. Thomas the elder died in 1857 but his son, Thomas, had died in 1851. Around 1858 - 1861 Ann Bradley ran the brewery but by 1867 John Bradley, junior had taken over. John Bradley, junior, married Mary (Walmsey?), and was still a brewer in 1871.
John Richardson Ltd. are occasionally referred to as brewers in Ousegate. The brewery was allegedly to the rear of the Swan Inn and purchased by him in October 1873. However, it seems unlikely that Richardson was a brewer but the Swan may have been a home brew pub when purchased. Henry Bentley & Co. Ltd in January 1897 (or 1889) acquired the company when, apart from the Swan, Richardson had owned:-
- Marquis of Granby, Micklegate
- Ship Inn, Water Lane
- Nelson Inn, Ousegate
- Anchor, Church Hill
- Rose & Crown, Thorndon Buildings.
John Richardson was a wine and spirit merchant in Ousegate from at least 1834 when he was in partnership with Burton. His son, also called John, was a wine and spirit merchant in Broad Street at this time. Richardson, senior, is not mentioned in directories again but by 1837 Burton had formed a new partnership with Standering in Ousegate. The Standering and Burton families were probably related, as in 1877 Thomas Standering Burton was a shipowner in Ousegate. John Richardson continued as a wine and spirit merchant in Broad Street until c.1887 when he moved to Water Lane. In 1861 Richardson was also a miller in Millgate.
John Burton c.1877 - 1881 was a brewer and wine & spirit merchant in Ousegate and a maltster in Gowthorpe; the brewery was behind the Nag’s Head, Gowthorpe with offices in Ousegate. William Standering & John Burton c.1877 - 1881 were wholesale/retail wine & spirit merchants and brewers from Ousegate. They were taken over by the Selby Brewing & Wine Co. in 1887 with the following pubs:-
- Nag’s Head and brewery, Gowthorpe
- Junction Tavern, Ousegate
- Crown Inn, Goole
- Crown Inn, Church Hill.
Dickinson & Winder are listed as brewers in 1877 in Ousegate. Possibly they were Brewers Agents for a brewery in the Doncaster area.