John Lovibond & Sons Ltd
John Lovibond & Sons Ltd, Greenwich Brewery, 177 Greenwich High Road, Greenwich, Greater London.
John Lovibond & Sons Ltd, St Anne's Brewery, Salisbury, Wiltshire.
During 1831-1834, John Locke Lovibond was brewing at or near Frome in Somerset, when living at Long Sutton. In 1847. J L Lovibond bought the Nag's Head Brewery, Esther Place, Bridge Street, Greenwich, it is said from a Mr Peacock, possibly the James Peacock who was brewing at Blackheath in the 1860s. A new brewery was built at Greenwich High Street in 1865 on land purchased from the London & Greenwich Railway. The Bridge Street premises were retained mainly for malting.
The Salisbury brewery was founded in 1869.
On 8 January 1876, they registered their trade mark as a bundle of wood. Registered as a limited company in July 1896. Around 1901, they acquired Henry Lovibond & Son Ltd (Fulham) and the Hoxton Brewery Ltd. In May 1916, they acquired Ive Brothers of Henley on Thames.
At the end of World War II, the public houses were in need of refurbishment that had not been done since the 1930s. This led to a decision to cease brewing and concentrate on selling wine. The public houses were sold, most going to Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Ltd.
Last brew at Greenwich was in 1959. The company image was changed to that of wine merchants with retail shops, and the brewery was substantially redeveloped to provide wine cellars and warehouses, and wine bottling lines. Acquired by Wine Ways Supermarkets Ltd. in 1968, at which time there were 104 Lovibond's wine shops. Many of the Wine Ways shops later became 'Victoria Wine' off-licences.
An attempt to reopen the brewery by the Alan Greenwood Beer Agency (Brewing) Ltd in 1978 was not realised. The Greenwich buildings remain intact. Davy's Wine Merchants are now based at the site.
The Brewery in 1985
Various images of the Greenwich Brewery