John Johnson, 90 Great Holme Street, Leicester.
In 1794, the Johnsons were maltsters in Northamptongate. Then in 1835 to 1848 John Johnson was listed as the victualler at the Birmingham Tavern, Hinckley Road, where he was also shown as a maltster in 1876.
In 1835 and 1846 Thomas Johnson was shown as a brewer and maltster in Southgate Street. Thomas also seems to have bottled beer. From 1848 to 1855 the address was more clearly given as 47 Southgate. From 1835 to 1848 Joseph Johnson was also a maltster in Oxford Street.
The Johnson family was involved with some 7 pubs during this period. For example in 1835, Arthur Johnson kept the Black Lion and from 1835 to 1846 Thomas Johnson kept the Admiral Rodney, High Cross Street previously run by the Coltmans. In 1870, they also owned the Axe & Square, Sanvey Gate.
However, the 1867 directory lists John Johnson as a maltster in Great Holme Street, but also still the brewer at 5 Hinckley Road. whilst T Johnson was a maltster in Mansfield Street. In 1875 John Johnson was shown as a brewer at Great Holme Street and a maltster at 4 Harvey Lane and Hinckley Road, where the following year he was again shown as brewing.
In April 1871 the licensee was James Robert Johnson and he was listed as the brewer for the period 1876-87, until the site became owned by the Browns.
Mrs Ann Johnson was then listed as a brewer and maltster at Stanley House in Great Holme Street in 1881-84. Henry Earny, a maltster’s foreman was living at No 88.
This site then possibly became used by Everards Ltd.