John D'Arcy & Son Ltd
John D'Arcy & Son Ltd, Anchor Brewery, Usher Street, Dublin, Ireland.
Founded 1740. Registered 1896.
Acquired by Jameson, Pim & Co. Ltd 1926 and was closed.
From the Brewery History Society Journal number 91
The brewery was founded in 1740 and passed through a series of owners into the hands of the D'Arcy family in 1818. Prior to this however, much great work had been done in this brewery initiated by one Charles Page, another London Porter brewer who had come to Dublin on the invitation of the original owners, ie. Messrs Kavangh and Brett. Its output capacity was 250,000 barrels per annum, mainly porter for some local and export trade.
O'Connell's Dublin Ale was brewed here until the brewery closed in 1926.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.