Difference between revisions of "Hunt & Co"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[image:Alresford Hunt 1989.jpg |thumb]]
 
[[image:Alresford Hunt 1989.jpg |thumb]]
 
[[image:Alresford Hunt 2.jpg |thumb]]
 
[[image:Alresford Hunt 2.jpg |thumb]]
<big>'''Hunt & Co, '''''West Street, Alresford, Hampshire.''</big>
 
  
Hunt & Anderson listed in 1784, John Hunt in 1783, John and Edward Hunt listed from 1823 to 1859.  
+
<big>'''Hunt & Co''', ''West Street, Alresford, Hampshire.''</big>
  
Listed as above from 1867 to 1899.  
+
Hunt & Anderson listed in 1784, John Hunt in 1783, John and Edward Hunt listed from 1823 to 1859. Listed as '''Hunt & Co''' from 1867 to 1899.  
  
Acquired by [[Crowley & Co]]. 1902 and used as a depot until at least 1911.  
+
Acquired by [[Crowley & Co]] of Alton in 1902 and used as a depot until at least 1911. Maltings extant.
 +
 
 +
The two gate piers to 'Brewhouse Yard' feature a carved letter 'H', much eroded. Edward's son William Henry Hunt became a prominent local architect. His house at 36 West Street features two roundels in the spandrels on each side of the door arch: 'WHH' in entwined script on the left, and the date 1868 on the right. 
  
Date stone with "WHH 1868" on house, maltings extant.
 
 
[[category:Hampshire]]
 
[[category:Hampshire]]

Latest revision as of 17:31, 16 September 2020

Alresford Hunt 1989.jpg
Alresford Hunt 2.jpg

Hunt & Co, West Street, Alresford, Hampshire.

Hunt & Anderson listed in 1784, John Hunt in 1783, John and Edward Hunt listed from 1823 to 1859. Listed as Hunt & Co from 1867 to 1899.

Acquired by Crowley & Co of Alton in 1902 and used as a depot until at least 1911. Maltings extant.

The two gate piers to 'Brewhouse Yard' feature a carved letter 'H', much eroded. Edward's son William Henry Hunt became a prominent local architect. His house at 36 West Street features two roundels in the spandrels on each side of the door arch: 'WHH' in entwined script on the left, and the date 1868 on the right.