Hope & Anchor Breweries Ltd
Hope & Anchor Breweries Ltd, Hope Brewery, Clay Wheels Lane, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Founded 1892 by Christopher Carter, Eleazar Milner & George Bird at Mowbray Street, Bridgehouses.
Registered April 1899 as Carter, Milner & Bird Ltd. The original Hope Brewery was closed due to redevelopment of the area, but a site was acquired in Clay Wheels Lane, and a new model brewery was built in 1939.
Merged with Henry Tomlinson Ltd in 1942 after the destruction of Tomlinson's brewery, and the name was changed as above. They acquired Truswell's Brewery Co. Ltd in 1955 with about 50 pubs, and closed that brewery. They entered into an agreement with a Canadian brewery and began to brew Carling Lager. This led to:
In March 1960, Northern Breweries Ltd was formed to merge: Hammond's United Breweries Ltd, Hope & Anchor Breweries Ltd. and John Jeffrey & Co. Ltd. The name was later changed to Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd and in October 1962 to United Breweries Ltd.
In 1962 they merged with Charrington & Co. Ltd of Mile End London and name changed to Charrington United Breweries Ltd.
In 1967 CUB merged with Bass, Mitchells & Butlers to become Bass Charrington Ltd.
The Hope Brewery was closed by Bass Charrington Ltd in 1994, and the site has been cleared.
Images of the brewery
- Carter Miln Bird, Sheffield 1950s.jpg
The Carter, Milner & Bird brewery in 1950s