Home Brewery Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Home Brewery shown on an Ordnance Survey extract from 1899. "Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland" http://maps.nls.uk/index.html
A dinner for Home Brewery licensees to celebrate the knighthood of Sir John Robinson, 1906
1943
1981
Home 8.jpg
Home Brewery label 002.jpg
Beer - Home - 19510112 Notts County.jpg
Home Brewery Lorry 10.jpg
Old Black Lion, Coalpit Lane, Nottingham, 1929

Home Brewery Co. Ltd, Mansfield Road, Daybrook, Nottinghamshire

Registered in August 1890 to acquire the business formerly owned by John Robinson.

Acquired by Scottish & Newcastle Breweries Ltd in July 1986 with 447 public houses. Brewery closed 1996.

Plans were drawn up in 1938 for the almost complete reconstruction of the brewery, including a new office building facing the Mansfield Road; the design was by Nottingham architect Cecil Howitt, who also designed many pubs for the brewery. Building began in 1938 but - due to the war - the central tower of the office block was not completed until the early 1950s. The two 12-bay wings of the offices carry a total of 24 delightful cast iron relief panels by the Nottingham architectural sculptor Charles Doman (1884-1944). They run in series between the ground and first floor windows, and were made by the Lion Foundry at Kirkintilloch. Three designs, depicting various aspects of the brewing process, are repeated, and are currently painted white on pale blue ground. The remainder of the Home Brewery site has been redeveloped, but the Mansfield Road block was converted to council offices. The building was listed, grade 2, in 1993: Home Brewery: Listed Building Details



Views of the brewery:


The brewery in 2005:


The brewery in 2008. Courtesy Ray Teece:

From the collection of Chris Cooter

Selected pubs:


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 410,812

Description  : Man & Dog holding glass of ale.
Date of Application  : 20/12/1920

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO