Hole & Co. Ltd
James Hole & Co. Ltd, Castle Brewery, Albert Street, Newark on Trent, Nottinghamshire
From 1870-1871, Caparn Hankey & Co were recorded as brewing at the Robin Hood Hotel, Lombard Street. They purchased the Albert Street site which included a workhouse, a gaol, a starch works and a cotton mill, and constructed a large new brewery in 1879-1882. In 1885, Caparn Hankey & Co ceased to exist, and the brewery was acquired by maltsters James Hole. Registered as a limited company in March 1890.
- In 1926, they acquired the Market Rasen Brewery Co. Ltd with 33 tied houses.
- In 1935, they acquired Lowe, Son & Cobbold Ltd of Stamford with 34 houses, and closed that brewery.
Acquired by Courage, Barclay & Simonds Ltd in 1967 with 220 houses. Brewing ceased in 1983. Many of the brewery buildings are still standing, converted to other uses.
The brewery is listed grade II in three sections. The tower (1889-90) was designed by William Bradford. More unusual are their ornate offices of 1881-2 by an unknown architect (the List description gives Bradford as architect, but this seems unlikely on stylistic and other grounds). The offices feature above the door a Caparn Hankey monogram "CH & Co". Listing details can be viewed on the Historic England website, as follows:
- Brewery: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1196096
- Offices: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1297791
- Cask Store: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1288308
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
Views of the brewery:
The brewery in 2006. Courtesy Steve Peck.
The following images were taken on a BHS Visit in 2013: