Hereford & Tredegar Brewery Ltd
Hereford & Tredegar Brewery Ltd, Imperial Brewery, Bewell Street, Hereford, Herefordshire.
Charles Watkins started in Eign Street as an innkeeper then c.1850 moved to the Imperial Inn, Widemarsh Street, which had a brewhouse.
Around 1858 he bought the Hereford Brewery in Bewell Street, previously J C Reynolds, which he then renamed the Imperial Brewery, also using Sunlight Brewery as mainly a brand name
Sunlight was mainly a brand name. On his retirement in 1898 he sold the firm to the Tredegar Brewery Co.
Registered August 1899 as the Tredegar & Hereford Brewery Co. Ltd.
Under the control of Allsopps 1899-1902.
Acquired by the Cheltenham Original Brewery Co. Ltd. 1945 who then changed their name to Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries Ltd.
Many of the public houses were sold to Rhymney Breweries Ltd.
Brewing ceased at Hereford 1960.
Demolished for a supermarket.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.