Herbert North jnr, Britannia Inn, 29 Pinfold Gate, Loughborough, Leicestershire.
In 1870, Charles Hutchinson was at the Britannia; however, sometime after 1877 William Russell moved here from the Half Moon, 21 Pinfold Street, where he had been brewing from around 1870. By 1884 William Russell was shown at the Britannia Inn, but almost immediately Charles Hutchinson took over and was there until 1888.
From 1892 to 1898, Mrs Eliza Hutchinson was described as running the Britannia Inn Brewery. Then in 1902-10 William James Hutchinson was the brewer.
Thomas Dakin (see Dakin entry) was then brewing here for a brief period in 1913. Then for 1914 to 1921 Walter George Dowding was brewing at the pub.
In 1923, the North family moved here from the Queen’s Head and William North was listed as the brewer at the Britannia (F3099). The previous family occupation of brewing at other home-brew pubs died out as the free trade was bought up by the local breweries.
In 1935 Herbert North was listed as the brewer and around 1940, he took over the business, after his father and mother died. Frank Baillie’s description mentions that unlike many concerns, no sugar was used in the brewing process and that Herbert North was extremely skilful at getting the most from his malt. The beer’s natural ability to retain its head was also stressed. Baillie also described how the whole family of two sisters and four brothers worked towards the success of the business (Baillie pp73-74).
On 28 May 1972 Herbert North died, aged 64. His brother Harry took over the running of pub, but with supplies from outside, rather than the home brewed mild and best. The pub was sold to T Hoskins Ltd and in 1977 was a free house supplied by Ruddles Brewery Ltd; although, it now seems to be supplied by Bass and trading under the name “Peggy’s Bar”.
Herbert North snr, Queen's Head, 4 Barrow Street, Loughborough, Leicestershire.
In 1870 when shown as being on Forest Road, the pub was being run by Mrs Caroline Hopkins (see entry). However in 1884 George Willett was the brewer, until in 1888 George Wilcocks moved here from Hume Street.
However, Willett seems to have taken the pub back again by 1894 and he was listed as brewing here in 1906. From 1910 to 1914 Henry Willett was listed as the brewer (F3105), although in 1910 it was leased by Sydney Wells & Sons of Kegworth. Sometime after, it was taken by Herbert North who was listed as the brewer 1921-23.
Around the turn of the century North had been the brewer for a local firm, then travelled around the district on his bicycle as a freelance brewer for home-brew pubs.
The Queen’s Head closed for compensation in 1923, when the family moved to the Britannia.
The Queen’s Head was later demolished.
An assortment of views of the brewing plant at the Britannia in 1972. Courtesy Roy Denison