Hawkes & Co

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Hawkes stortfordCambridge Castle.jpg

Hawkes & Co, Water Lane, Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire.

Brewery built 1780.

Acquired by James Wigan, formerly of the Mortlake Brewery (see:Phillips, More & Co. Ltd), in 1876 but continued under the same name.

Acquired by Benskins Ltd. 1898 with 157 public houses.

The brewery seems to have remained in operation until 1921 and was continued as a depot until 1987.

Most buildings demolished 1992 but some remains to be seen.

List of Hawkes & Co pubs

An assortment of images of the brewery

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 8,386

Description  : Mitre
Date of Application  : 26/7/1876
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO


Registration No  : 183,295
Description  : TM for whisky, (Hawk Brand)
Date of Application  : 31/10/1894

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO