Greenwood Brothers

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Greenwood Brothers, Caledonia Brewery, 133 Manchester Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Founded May 1890 by brothers Frederick and John Young Greenwood.

Formed part of Boardman's United Breweries Ltd with c.15 houses in 1896.

Brewing transferred to the Denholme Gate site in 1903.

Premises were in use by Stretton's Derby Brewery Ltd. in 1906.

Nothing remains of the brewery.

List of Greenwood Brothers pubs

Malcolm Toft writes:-

Caledonia Brewery, Caledonia Street, Bradford. Benjamin Murrowood, landlord of the Caledonia Hotel, appeared as brewer in the local directory of 1883. The property became compulsorily purchased by Bradford Council c1888.

In May 1890 the Greenwood Brothers (Frederick and John Young) entered the brewing trade by building the Caledonia Brewery, between Caledonia Street and Duncan Street. Their father, J.T.Greenwood, established his grocery and provisions business in 1856 and his sons followed him into that trade.

Greenwoods operated around sixteen houses in May 1896 when the concern was absorbed into the new company Boardman's United Breweries Ltd. The other companies that amalgamated into B.U.B. were Boardman’s Breweries Limited (of Manchester & Bolton); J O & J Wood, brewers of Denholme, near Bradford; Crown Brewery Co; Nesfield Street, Bradford; E H Rothwell, brewer, Russell Street, Hulme; John Greenwood (wine & spirit merchants) Halifax, and Piccadilly (Manchester) Limited (wine & spirit merchants) Manchester.

The promoters of this business were the North of England Brewery Syndicate Limited, the two gentlemen behind the venture Harry Birkett Boardman (Boardman's Breweries Ltd) and John William Saynor, Bury. They joined the new board of directors along with Edwin Alfred Rothwell, John Greenwood, Fred Greenwood and John Young Greenwood. Fred Greenwood became the first Managing Director and served a term of three years. The company’s Lancashire properties were sold in 1899 to the Cornbrook Brewery Co. Ltd.

At the company's AGM of 1902 Fred and John Y. Greenwood were turned off the Board after objections from the floor that their Bradford business had been unsuccessful until the appointment of a new manager. It was also stated that after selling their own business to Boardmans they continued buying houses on their own account which the company had to supply on free trade discount terms, practically obliging them to buy or lease them. The following year Boardmans moved production to the Denholme Gate Brewery from their Caledonia Brewery, the latter premises, which had been fitted out with a 25 quarter plant, came up for auction in June the same year. No buyer was forthcoming.

Strettons of Derby later used the premises probably for storage only(18) and also leased a number of Boardmans houses. Trade did not improve and negotiations took place with Samuel Webster & Sons Ltd of Halifax during the middle of 1904 to provide Boardmans with all their beer requirements on a twelve monthly contract. Mr J.Wood, a director of Boardmans, and manager, Mr Rogers, had discussions with Messrs Webster with a view for the latter named firm to supply beer to Boardmans using their casks which would be delivered to their 117 houses and shops. A discount for beer was offered and 150,000 ordinary shares of Boardmans would be purchased by Websters. Negotiations dragged on. An offer by Boardmans in August to sell all their property to Websters was “respectfully declined”. By November a deal was worked out to supply wines and spirits as well, in addition to the draught and bottled beer with a 35% discount being proposed by Websters. The dealing finally came to an end in February 1905 when Boardmans refused a 40% discount.

At their AGM of 1911 the Chairman E.H.Seddon said "their Yorkshire properties consisted of a somewhat inferior class of house which consequently suffered very severely from visits of the compensation authorities. That year they had been referred to the Inland Revenue Commissions, two fully licensed houses and two ante-1869 beerhouses. Since the 1904 Act they had lost no less than 24 on-licences and 14 off-licences, he thought they had been unfairly treated. In Bradford they had lost 13 beerhouses, two full licences and six shops.”

In January 1921 they sold their sixty-two Yorkshire properties to Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries Limited and the company was wound-up in May 1946.