Greenall Whitley: Acquisition Trail
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Greenall Whitley & Co. Ltd: Acquisition Trail
- 1890: Edward Moss, Halewood Brewery.
- 1893: William Richardson (Rainford) with 24 public houses.
- Before 1902: the tied estate of Matthew Taylor (Cuerdley, Cheshire).
- 1910: Mary Dodd (Saltney), Brewery Arms.
- 1920: part of the tied estate of Fairhurst Ltd, Liverpool.
- C.1927: the tied estate of Copple Brothers, Eccleston.
- October 1930: George F & A Brown Ltd (Whitchurch) with 6 tied houses.
- October 1931: Bolton Brothers (Warrington)
- October 1931: John Sumner & Co. Ltd of Wigan with 9 public houses.
- 1949: Chester Northgate Brewery Co. Ltd with about 140 tied houses. Brewing ceased here in 1969.
- 1951: Shrewsbury & Wem Brewery Co. Ltd with 94 public houses; the tied estate grew to about 225 pubs. Brewing ceased here in February 1988.
- 1959: Magee, Marshall & Co. Ltd of Bolton with over 180 houses: brewing ceased here in September 1970.
- 1961: Groves & Whitnall Ltd of Salford: brewing ceased here in March 1972.
- 1966: Wrekin Brewery Co. Ltd of Wellington, Shropshire with 94 tied houses: brewing ceased here in September 1969.
- 1978: Shipstone & Sons Ltd of Nottingham with 280 tied houses.
- July 1985: J. P. Simpkiss of Brierley Hill with 15 pubs, and immediately closed the brewery.
- 1986: Davenport's Brewery Ltd of Birmingham with 106 tied houses. Brewing ceased here in 1989.
In 1990, it closed its remaining breweries at Warrington and Nottingham to become a pub chain, which was later itself bought.
As a Pub Co, it acquired the pub estate of Devenish & Co. Ltd in 1993.