George Younger & Son Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 17:36, 16 January 2021 by SteveP (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Meadow Brewery
Younger Alloa.jpg

George Younger & Son Ltd, Meadow & Candleriggs Breweries, Bank Street, Alloa, Clackmannanshire

George Younger was brewing in Alloa by 1745. In 1764, he established the Meadow Brewery in Bank Street, Alloa. The Candleriggs Brewery, Alloa, owned by Robert Meiklejohn & Co, was leased in 1852 and bought outright in 1871. The Meadow Brewery ceased brewing in 1877 and was turned into offices for the business. The Candleriggs Brewery was badly damaged by fire in 1889 and rebuilt on a larger scale to cover nearly 2 acres, becoming the largest brewery in Scotland outside Edinburgh. George Younger & Son Ltd was registered as a limited liability company in February 1897.

Acquired by Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd in 1960 and brewing ceased at Candleriggs on 31st December 1963.

Acquisition History


The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.


An assortment of images of the brewery

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 28,833
Description : A revolver
Date of Application : 1/8/1882
Used Prior to 1875? : NO