Friary, Holroyd & Healy's Breweries Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
(Redirected from Friary Meux Ltd)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Messrs. Friary, Holroyd & Healy Breweries Ltd., Guildford, Surrey. Brewers’ Journal, 15th December 1902
Ordnance Survey extract from 1895. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/index.html)
An advert from 1867
1951
1963
1969
1986
Friary Meux Guidlford.jpg

Friary, Holroyd & Healy's Breweries Ltd, Commercial Road, Guildford, Surrey.

Developed from 1865 onwards by Thomas Taunton of the Cannon Brewery (founded 1844). Registered June 1889 on acquiring Holroyds.

Acquired Healys in 1890 but name not changed to above until 1895. Recorded as having ca.400 houses in 1928.

Merged with Meux's Brewery Co. Ltd in 1956 to form Friary Meux Ltd. Brewing ceased 23rd January 1969 and the brewery has been demolished.

List of Friary, Holroyd & Healy's Breweries Ltd pubs

Friary brewery Roy Denison.jpg

Onslow Street, 1 January 1967 (courtesy Roy Denison)


An assortment of beers and images from the brewery


The bottling Hall in 1911

Friary Holroyd Healy Guildford Bottling Hall.jpg


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 42,040
Description : Label "Anglo-Lager Beer"
Date of Application : 10/1/1885
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 402,106
Description : Oatmeal Stout label
Date of Application : 20/03/1920
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 410,488
Description : Words "FRIARY"
Date of Application : 08/12/1920
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 458,644
Description : Words "AULD CROFTER" for whisky
Date of Application : 05/05/1925
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 514,262
Description : Words"TYPICO"
Date of Application : 03/07/1930
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 547,767
Description : Label
Date of Application : 15/01/1934
Used Prior to 1875? : User claims from 11th November 1924