Flower & Sons Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Old Brewery. Ordnance Survey extract from 1885. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/index.html)
The New Brewery. Ordnance Survey extract from 1913. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/index.html)
Flower Stratford 1965.jpg
Flowers 13.jpg
George Adlam's 1951 design for their new brewery

Flower & Sons Ltd, Brewery Street (later Birmingham Road), Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.

Founded by Edward Fordham Flower in 1831. New brewery built in Birmingham Road in 1874. Registered February 1888.

Acquired by J W Green Ltd of Luton in 1954 who then changed their name to Flowers Breweries Ltd.

The brewery was closed in 1968 when Whitbread merged Flowers with West Country Breweries Ltd to form Whitbread Flowers Ltd. Both breweries demolished.


Read A Social History of Flower's Brewery, by Jonathan Reinarz:



An assortment of views of the brewery.

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 5,244
Description : Shakespeare
Date of Application : 29/4/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : 20 years

Registration No : 5,245
Description : Shakespeare
Date of Application : 29/4/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : 20 years

Registration No : 50,492
Description : Words "Shakespeare
Date of Application : 23/1/1886
Used Prior to 1870? : 20 years

Registration No : 513,701
Description : Words "FLOWER DEW" for whisky
Date of Application : 13/06/1930
Used Prior to 1870? : NO

Registration No : 541,079
Description : Words "PALX" for beer
Date of Application : 28/04/1933
Used Prior to 1870? : NO