Fielder & Co

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 20:07, 27 August 2021 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Brentwood Fielder tap 1998.jpg
Brentwood Fielder 3.jpg

Fielder & Co, King's Road, Brentwood, Essex.

Founded by 1855.

Acquired by S.R.Conron & Co. of Hornchurch 1923.

Buildings still standing.

From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4

Alfred Fielder's brewery is first listed in 1855 under the title of A. Fielder and Company, but by 1882 he is also noted as a maltster. Two years later the name changed to Charles A. Fielder and Company and this name is last recorded in 1887, when it changed once more to Fielder and Company.

Kelly's Directory listing of 1902 gives the firms activities as brewers, retailers and coal merchants. The final entry is in 1923 when S.R. Conron and Company of the Hornchurch Brewery Co. Ltd, took over the concern.

The brewery buildings, somewhat altered, are still extant, now used as retail shops, with the old Brewery Tap public house, integral on the corner of the block. The brew house was three storeys high with the entire first floor consisting of louvred windows. On the top floor a small lucarne projected over the footpath in the centre of the building, with the square chimney stack rising from the rear corner behind the Brewery Tap.

An assortment of views of the brewery