Eldridge, Pope & Co. Ltd
Eldridge, Pope & Co Ltd, Weymouth Avenue, Dorchester, Dorset.
The new Dorchester Brewery opened in 1880, and the two earlier breweries were closed. Registered May 1897 with 74 public houses.
The pub estate was separated from brewing in 1996 and management buy-out followed by merger in 1997. This merged 1998 with Burtonwood Brewery Co.(Forshaws) Ltd in 1998. Trading as Thomas Hardy Burtonwood. Pub estate sold to Michael Cannon in 2004, who then sold it to Marstons in 2006.
The brewery closed in 2003 but is still standing in use residentially.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
At one point both Joshua Tetley & Son Ltd and Eldridge, Pope "shared" a common Trade Mark
An assortment of views of the brewery
The brewery in 1990
The following images were taken on a BHS Visit in 2002. Courtesy Jeff Sechiari