Daniel Clifton & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Macclesfield 95.jpg

Daniel Clifton & Co. Ltd, Royal Oak Brewery, Cooper Street, Stockport, Greater Manchester.

Daniel Clifton owned the Royal Oak Inn where he began brewing by 1850. Due to expanded trade a new brewery was built adjacent to the inn in 1880. At the time of his death in 1900 some 70 public houses were owned.

In February 1923 they were acquired by the Manchester Brewery Co. Ltd, then a subsidiary of Walker & Homfrays Ltd.

About 1940 the brewery was leased to the Cornbrook Brewery Co. Ltd. and was further leased to Whitbread & Co. Ltd in April 1943 before they bought it in March 1946.

Brewery closed 1966. Buildings remain as new development.


List of Daniel Clifton & Co Ltd pubs


An assortment of views of the brewery

The brewery during renovation in 2012. Courtesy Emma Lafferty, Equity Housing Group (the developers).


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 44,925
Description : Label design DC monogram
Date of Application : 8/5/1885
Used Prior to 1870? : NO


Registration No : 45,650
Description : Lion in shield, pigeon & arm above. Motto "mortem aut triumpud
Date of Application : 12/6/1885
Used Prior to 1870? : NO