Crown Brewery Co (West Yorkshire)

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Crown, Bradford 1986.jpg

Crown Brewery Co, Nesfield Street, Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Established in c.1875 by George Blakey, wine & spirit merchant and bottler.

Used by Robert Ogden in partnership with Samuel Ogden from Haworth until bankruptcy in 1883. David Levy began trading as the Levy Brothers the following year.

William Wallace formed company as above c.1892.

Premises acquired by Wheatley & Bates Ltd. of Sheffield in 1895 who were black beer manufacturers.

Merged into Boardman's United Breweries Ltd in 1896.

Buildings remain.


List of Crown Brewery Co. pubs

Malcolm Toft writes:-

George Blakey, Nesfield Street, Manningham, Bradford.

In December 1867 he announced that he had opened a new bottled ale and porter establishment in Albion Yard, Ivegate, near Barracloughs. There he bottled Bass, Mild, Bitter, Guinness and was also agent for the Keighley Old Brewery. In 1875 he opened premises in Nesfield Street, this business was not a great success for in July 1879 there appeared a notice of bankruptcy upon George Blakey of Nesfield Street and North Parade, Bradford, and of Ilkley, brewer. Means were found for him to remain in business for on the census of 1881 he was described as a wine and spirit merchant, beer and stout bottler, employing seven men and three women.

A bankruptcy notice in the Bradford Observer of Saturday 29th September 1883 gave the following details:-

Samuel Ogden of Haworth, Common Brewer, now carrying on business in co-partnership with Robert Ogden, at Nesfield Brewery in Manningham Lane, Bradford, under the style or firm S.Ogden & Co; and formerly carrying on business in co-partnership with John Parker at the Fallwood Brewery, Haworth, under the style or firm Ogden & Parker.

David Levy acquired the Nesfield Street premises in 1884 and the property became known as the Crown Brewery. The concern ran under the title Levy Brothers despite there being only one proprietor. About 1887 the establishment was said to be four stories in height with cellarage and a yard, and termed “a model brewery, not on account of the size, but because of the fact that being perfectly equipped, and on account of the cleanliness and care taken to earn a reputation for quality of beer, stout and ales”.

In 1886 Robert Ogden was still in occupation when there was a report of false alarm of fire in the local press. He may possibly have been working for David Levy. By 1887, Levy was said to be in partnership at the Eastbrook Brewery, trading as Thornton, Levy & Co.

William Wallace of Halifax formed the Crown Brewery Co c1892, when the business became merged into Boardman's United Breweries Ltd; they owned two houses. The premises then came into the hands of Wheatley & Bates of Sheffield, black-spruce beer bottlers, beer bottlers and hotel owners.

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 95,451

Description  : Label design for hop stout (non-intoxicating)
Date of Application  : 29/1/1890
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO


Registration No  : 178,156
Description  : Label design with beacon
Date of Application  : 12/2/1894

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO