Collier Brothers, Essex Brewery, St James' Street, Walthamstow, London E17.
Acquired by Tollemache Breweries Ltd. August 1920.
Brewing ceased in 1972 and the buildings were demolished.
From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4
William Hawes built his steam powered brewery in 1859, called the Walthamstow Brewery, situated in Marsh Street which was to change its name in the early 1870s to St James Street. William Hawes operated the brewery to 1870, when it was put up for sale but failed to attract any subscribers. It was acquired in 1871 by Collier Brothers, who changed the brewery name to "The Essex Brewery"; Collier Brothers issued a prospectus in 1871 to raise £30,000 capital in 6,000 shares of £5 each to purchase the Walthamstow Brewery.
Within the brewery curtilage there were two artesian wells, one of which was over 350 feet deep. On the corner of the brewery a tap house was included within the brewery buildings, but as the brewery expanded, so a new Essex Brewery Tap house was built in 1906 on the opposite corner, receiving its first licence on 24th February.
In the earlier years of the brewery local woman were allowed to collect boiling water from the brewery on their washing days. In 1920 the business was bought by Tollemache Breweries Ltd. of Ipswich, Suffolk, who operated the brewery for another fifty-one years, the last brew being made in the week of Christmas 1971. Bottling continued up unto 1974 with tanker lorries bringing beer from the Cliff Brewery, Ipswich. The brewery buildings have been demolished and the site redeveloped.
The range of draught beers supplied in Pins, Firkins and Kilderkins, were a Light Ale K, Mild Ale X and XX, Strong Ale XXX, Bitter Ale BA, AA The Amber Ale, which was also part of the firms trade mark, IPA Indian or India Pale Ale, likewise Ex PA, Porter P, Stout S, and DS Double Stout. In 1887 the prices ranged from 15 shillings for the K Light Ale to 29 shillings for the XXX and Double Stout in the 18 gallon Kilderkin. The trade advertisement in 1890 stated "Brewed expressly for Private Families, prompt deliveries to all parts of London and Suburbs".
An assortment of images of the brewery