Chester Lion Brewery Co. Ltd
Chester Lion Brewery Co. Ltd, 26 Pepper Street, Chester, Cheshire.
Claimed to be founded 1642.
In 1768 a Mrs Wilbraham took over following her husband’s death. The Pepper Street brewery was reopened and renamed the Lion Brewery by Walton & Clare in 1866.
Bought by Thomas Montgomery in 1893.
Registered May 1896 to acquire the business of Thomas Montgomery with 40 public houses.
Acquired by Bent's Brewery Co. Ltd. 1902 and brewing ceased.
Brewery demolished 1969 and replaced by a multi-storey car park with the lion from the brewery tower on top.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.