Difference between revisions of "Brickwoods Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 17: Line 17:
  
 
'''An assortment of views of the brewery'''
 
'''An assortment of views of the brewery'''
 +
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
 
File:Trade Mark Entry (5).jpg|Their entry in the Trade Mark Registry
 
File:Trade Mark Entry (5).jpg|Their entry in the Trade Mark Registry
Line 34: Line 35:
 
File:Brickwoods Ales.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 
File:Brickwoods Ales.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 
File:Brickwoods Portsmouth 25.6.1977.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 
File:Brickwoods Portsmouth 25.6.1977.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 +
</gallery>
 +
 +
 +
'''Some pubs'''
 +
 +
<gallery>
 +
Brickwoods Lansdown Lewes 1974.jpg
 +
Brickwoods Mars Portsmouth 1996.jpg
 +
REDEN_BR.JPG
 +
Brickwoods 25 June 1977.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 +
Brickwoods Ales.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 +
Brickwoods Portsmouth 25.6.1977.jpg|Courtesy Roy Denison
 +
Brickwoods IoW pubs sign aa.jpg|The Mayflower, St Mary's Rd, West Cowes, IoW
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
  

Revision as of 10:32, 1 June 2020

The Mayflower, St Mary's Rd, West Cowes, IoW
Brickwoods dd.jpg
Brickwood Oatmalt Stout Pre 1911.jpg

Brickwoods Ltd, Portsmouth Brewery, Admiralty Road, Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire.

In 1851 Fanny Brickwood bought the Cobden Arms Brewery, Arundel Street, Landport, founded in 1823. In 1875 grandsons John and Arthur Brickwood took charge.

In 1880 moved to the Hyde Park Brewery, Hyde Park Road, Southsea, founded by Henry Bransbury senior 1851. Then in 1887 to Tessier & Co's Portsmouth Brewery, Penny Street, founded in 1763.

Registered as Brickwood & Co. Ltd. 1891. In 1899 they bought Jewell's Catherine Brewery, Catherine Row, Portsea, established in 1845, which they rebuilt as the Portsmouth Brewery and moved there 1902. The name was changed as above in 1953.

Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd. 1971 with 675 public houses. Brewing ceased 1983.

Demolished 1990.


An assortment of views of the brewery


Some pubs


Labels and beer mats


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 545,149

Description  : Label
Date of Application  : 09/10/1933

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO