Breweries of Britain

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 12:28, 28 September 2017 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


125 Years of Beer Production

1890 to 2015

Edited by Mike Brown, Ray Farleigh and Ken Smith



Ampthill Brewery Ltd, Unit D, The Sidings, Station Road Industrial Estate. Brewing commenced as the Ampthill Brewery in September 2014 but put up for sale in April 2015. A new group of local businessmen took over trading under the Ampthill Brewhouse name. A six barrel plant is used.

Morris & Co. (Ampthill) Ltd, Ampthill Brewery, Bedford Street. Brewery in existence 1738. Financial stake in John Morris’ firm acquired by Thomas and George Green in 1858 but they continued as Morris & Co. Registered 1906. Acquired by J.W.Green Ltd. 1926 with 72 tied houses and closed.


Frederick Charles Fuller & Son, St Peter’s Brewery, 18 Lurke Street. Founded 1819. Acquired by Charles Wells Ltd. December 1934.

Higgins & Sons Ltd, Castle Brewery, Castle Lane. Brewery built 1838. Registered 1902. Acquired by Wells & Winch Ltd. 1928 with 55 public houses. Now art gallery and museum.

George Hopper & Son, 39 Midland Road. (1914) Ceased brewing c.1905.

Thomas Jarvis & Co, Phoenix Brewery, 71 Midland Road. Jarvis recorded as a brewer in Gwyn Street in 1841. Brewery built 1867. Acquired by Charles Wells Ltd. 1917 and brewing ceased 1918.

Newland & Nash Ltd, Steam Brewery, 22 Lurke Street. Founded 1783 when Peregrine Nash acquired Robert Bell’s brewhouse, St Mary Street. Lurke Street brewery built 1875. Registered 1890 to acquire Newland & Co. and G.P.Nash & Son who had amalgamated in 1890. Acquired by Wells & Winch Ltd. 1922 with 75 tied houses. Part of the maltings remain as offices.

George Sheppard Smith, 37 St John Street. In 1898 listed as a practical and consulting brewer. It seems likely that this was his home and he was employed elsewhere, although a Smith family did run the Railway Swan at No.66.