Braintree Brewery Co

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 20:34, 26 August 2021 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Braintree Brewery Co, Upper Railway Street, Braintree, Essex.

Built in 1875 by Alexander Young. Known as Ingold & Co. from 1899 until 1907 when the name was changed as above.

Merged with Randall, Gibbons & Co. of Dunmow 1916 to form Randall, Gibbons, Ingold & Co.

Closed 1939.

Buildings demolished 1950s.


From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4

Edward Holmes sold Braintree Manor farm on 1st February, 1875, to Alexander Young who built a brewery in a road later named Upper Railway Street. Alexander Young sold the business on 1st July, 1882, to Mr W.H. Hutchinson for £3,500, who sold it a year later to Henry Payne.

By 1890, Henry Payne had received brewing accolades, gaining a first prize medal at the National Brewers Exhibition for his pale ales; he also produced porter and stout, his trade being chiefly family.

In 1899 the brewery had changed hands again, this time to Ingold and Company, they being last listed in 1907. In 1902 Ingold's were also listed as wine and spirit merchants.

The 1916 Directory entry is as the Braintree Brewery Company, following the merger of Ingold's with Randall Gibbons and Company of Dunmow who continued trading up until 1939, see:- Randall, Gibbons, Ingold & Co.. The brewery, situated opposite the railway goods yard had two malthouses integral with the brewery yard.


An assortment of images of the brewery