Difference between revisions of "Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[File:Bass M&B 1966 letterhead.jpg|thumb|Bass M&B letterhead 1966]]
 
[[image:Bass Burton Barrel stack.jpg|thumb]]
 
[[image:Bass Burton Barrel stack.jpg|thumb]]
 
[[image:Bass Burton Unions.jpg|thumb]]
 
[[image:Bass Burton Unions.jpg|thumb]]

Revision as of 21:16, 26 April 2017

Bass M&B letterhead 1966
Bass Burton Barrel stack.jpg
Bass Burton Unions.jpg
Bass Burton Steam engine.jpg
Bass postcar.jpg

Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd, 137 High Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Founded 1777 by William Bass.

Second (Middle) brewery opened on the north side of Station Street in 1853 and third (New) brewery on the south side of Station Street 1864. Old brewery rebuilt 1884-1885.

Registered 1880 and was reconstructed 13th January 1888. Merged with Worthington & Co. Ltd. January 1927. Merged with Mitchells & Butlers Ltd. 1961 to form Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd.

Merged with Charrington United Breweries Ltd in 1967 to become Bass Charrington Ltd. Brewery demolished in 1971.

Bought by Interbrew in 2000 and sold to Molson-Coors in 2002. Site of Middle brewery still used for brewing in much altered form: the new brewery site retains more of its original buildings.


An assortment of images of the brewery

Some images courtesy Steve Peck.

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 1, 2, 3 & 914
Description : A red triangle and diamond
Date of Application : 01/01//1876
Used Prior to 1875? : Triangle from 1855. Diamond from 1857

Registration No : 21,701
Description : Facsimile signature
Date of Application : 24/12/1879
Used Prior to 1875? : 37 years

Registration No : 21,702
Description : Facsimile signature
Date of Application : 24/12/1879
Used Prior to 1875? : 37 years

Registration No : 383,601
Description : Mild Ale Label
Date of Application : 31/05/1918
Used Prior to 1875? : NO

Registration No : 492,366
Description : Salt & Co Label
Date of Application : 14/06/1928
Used Prior to 1875? : NO